måndag, februari 14, 2011

Day 07 – Most underrated book

When I lived in London the first time in 1992 I read India Knight's column in Sunday Times every week. I don't really remember any particular column, I just loved her name, India. And I liked her writing, but I can't have understood much of what she wrote about. Some years later I was back living in Britain and pregnant. I picked up her first novel My Life on a Plate (despite the ghastly cover, lovely pink shade, very messy graphics) and read it and loved it. I laughed and cried, sometimes I laughed til I cried and I learnt so much about parenthood, friendship and love. It could be that me and India are spiritual twins, but I don't think so (or, rather ofc we are, but that's not why I like it so much). This is a brilliant book and I've read it at least 10 times and I think everyone should read it. I won't lend you my copy as I've already lost one, but you can get it here (and have butcher's at the cover).
Apart from being a brilliant writer (also The Shops!), India Knight also has exquisite taste and shares lovely things she's found, here.

2 kommentarer:

Helena (Dark Places) sa...

Kul med ett till India Knight-fan! Jag har i och för sig bara läst hennes allra senaste roman, Comfort & Joy, men den föll jag handlöst för (hence the fanclub). Roligt, rappt, sorgligt och übersympatiskt. Jag hade skitkul tillsammans med henne. Har du hunnit läsa den än? Om inte: gör det! Och nu måste ju jag läsa Life on a Plate och kolla upp hennes krönikor också.

Eva-L sa...

Kul! Ja, jag såg att du fick Comfort and Joy strax före jul. Jag har faktiskt inte läst den än, den är ju en fortsättning på My Life on a Plate och jag både vill och inte vill(hennes Don't You Want M? blev jag rätt besviken på), men jag har förstått att den är bra.